Boarding bridges incorporate a host of mechanical and hydraulic systems to raise, lower, extend or rotate the bridge into position when connecting an airport terminal to a docked airplane. And all of these systems require a specialized cabling infrastructure that can reliably transfer power, signals and data. Because boarding bridges operate in challenging conditions that can affect cable performance, be sure to keep the following in mind:
- Oils, chemicals, fuels and hydraulic fluids
- Fire safety
- Repeated bending and flexing
SAB North America offers a broad range of power, signal and data cables for demanding airport applications like boarding bridges. For instance, halogen-free BB 380 Series SABIX cables with thermoplastic polyolefin insulation (TPE) feature excellent flexibility, even at temperatures as low as -40°C. In addition to their halogen-free construction, they also support passenger safety by meeting international standards for fire performance. They withstand weather and sunlight while also offering excellent resistance to oils, chemicals and hydraulic fluids.
Another example, TA 180 C Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP)-insulated flexible control cables, feature a wide operating temperature range from -55 to +150°C (DIN/VDE up to 180°C), offer good mechanical resistance as well as excellent protection against hydraulic fluids and various chemicals. Additional benefits include good flexibility, fire performance and EMC characteristics.
Meet a Broad Range of Airport Equipment Cabling Needs
Boarding bridges are just one of many airport devices that need reliable, durable cables. SAB North America power, signal and data cables can be found in ground power units (GPUs) and auxiliary equipment like baggage carousels, follow-me vehicles, aircraft tugs, and mobile working platforms and cargo loaders, plus cable trays to support various infrastructure needs. Highlights of our wire and cable lineup for airport equipment include:
- For ground power units: GP400 QF power cable with integrated control cores features flexible, smooth construction for easy handling, plus our SABIX insulation. It can also be suspended under boarding bridges.
- For networking: PN 662 CAT 5 Profinet type B industrial Ethernet cable features rugged FEP insulation, wide temperature range and a good bending radius.
- For servo motors: SL 803 transmission cable, SL 802 feedback cable and SL 801 motor connection cable with combined thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) and polyurethane (PUR) insulation are highly flexible — even at low temperatures. These halogen-free cables feature very good EMC performance, long service life, good chemical and weather resistance and adhesion-free installation. They can also be installed in cable tracks.
- For infrastructure: SD200, S200, SD 200 C, SD 200 C TP; S910P, S910 CP; S200 C. These flexible cable track cables suit a variety of constant use, high-bending stress applications.
Construction and Experience Address Challenging Airport Conditions
Cables deployed in airports, such as those that operate inside boarding bridges, need rugged construction to withstand the rigors of this unique environment. That’s why airport operators must be able to count on a single source for wire and cable that also has a deep understanding of airport equipment and infrastructure. SAB North America cables are built to operate reliably in boarding bridges and a host of other airport machines. SAB has more than 70 years experience manufacturing quality, rugged cables for challenging applications, so you can be sure passengers will be comfortable and operations will run safely and smoothly.
Application Example: Supply power to the airplane when parked at the gate
When connecting ground power to airplanes parked at the gate, speed and efficiency are critical. Because ground power cables will take a beating on the tarmac, look for these characteristics:
- Flexible cable
- Withstand mechanical stress
- Easy to install and handle
- Direct supply line to airplane
SAB Cable Solution:
The GP 400 SF — A 400-Hz symmetrical flexible ground power supply cable. Specifications include:
- Dimensions: 7 x 35 mm2 + 6 x 3x 1.0 mm2
- Temperature range:
- Installation: -40 to +70°C
- Flexible Application: -20 to +70°C
- Voltage: Uo/U 0.6/1 kV
Why SAB for airport applications?
- 400 Hz Ground Cables available for stationary, flexible and reeling applications
- Covered for power, signal, and data
- Plug-and-play-ready harnesses available.
For more information about SAB North America cables for airport equipment, download our brochure.