When patients’ lives and well-being depend on your devices, your cables must maintain reliable connections amidst threats like frequent cleaning, disinfection and handling as well as be able to withstand abrasion, shock, impact and tampering. Overmolded cables have become an attractive choice for the medical industry thanks to their reliability, easy implementation and customization options.
By combining the wire and connector into a single injection-molded assembly, overmolded cables ensure a secure and smooth material connection between the electrical line and the plug — effectively forming a barrier against liquids, scratches and impacts. And many overmolded cables feature a plug-and-play design for easy terminations.
SAB North America offers plug-and-play overmolded cables made of medical-grade silicone or thermoplastic elastomers. Overmolded plugs and nozzles are available for standard SABmed Line medical cable products as well as in small production lots and prototype versions. Highlights of the SABmed Line family include:
- SABmed S Basic. These notch- and tear-resistant cables offer flexibility and exceptional mechanical properties.
- SABmed T can be engineered and customized to produce thermoplastic and elastomeric materials with better haptics than conventional thermoplastics.
- SABmed S UL is a low-voltage range of biocompatible cables for medical devices with UL approval.
- SABmed S Platin. This non-blooming cable completely eliminates fission at the cable surface.
All compounds in these and other SABmed Line products meet the DIN EN ISO 10993-5 cytotoxicity standard.
Application Example: 3-D Endoscope
Today’s continually shrinking 3-D endoscopes demand a cable that can reliably transmit high-resolution images with sharpness and color so medical personnel can make diagnoses or perform procedures with confidence. Cables used for 3-D endoscopes must have the following characteristics:
- Flexibility and pliability to easily move through tight spaces without memory effect
- A smooth surface for patient safety
- Biocompatibility for patient contact
- Able to undergo sterilization
- UL approval.
SABmed Line Solution:
A USB 3.0, UL-approved cable with a highly flexible design. Specifications include:
- Dimensions: 2x(2x28AWG) ST + 2x28 AWG + 2x22AWG
- Voltage rating: 600V (UL).
- Wide temperature range: -25°C to +180°C, flexible; stationary: -40°C to +180°C.
Customizable to Fit Your Needs
Although there are standard products that address various medical industry requirements, overmolded cables made from SABmed Line compounds can be adapted to your individual needs. SAB can create a custom, overmolded medical cable and provide exceptional customer support for both large and small orders — no matter the manufacturing length. When you partner with SAB for custom, overmolded medical cables, you’ll benefit from the following advantages:
- SAB offers a diversity of biocompatible materials that can be adapted to your needs.
- Plug-and-play pre-assembled cables are available.
- Outer sheath colors can match the design of the medical device to create a harmonious visual appearance.
- Twisting characteristics include high flexibility, noble grip and no risk of kink. Custom cables can exhibit the typical torsion effect of handheld connection cables.
Greater Protection Plus Design Freedom
Overmolded cables provide an all-in-one assembly to fortify cables against harsh medical environments. SABmed Line overmolded cable products perform reliably as a plug-and-play solution with customization possibilities that provide medical device designers greater freedom. No matter the size of your order, SAB North America can deliver an optimal overmolded cable to meet your exact application requirements.
For more information about the SABmed Line family of medical cables, download the brochure.